Monday 14 August 2023

Australia news live: Dutton promises $250m for sport infrastructure instead of Matildas public holiday

Opposition leader Peter Dutton says a long-term investment in sporting clubs is a better way to honour the success of the Matildas. Follow the day’s news live

Warren Mundine, who leads the Indigenous voice to parliament no campaign group Recognise a Better Way, just spoke on ABC RN.

He was responding to comments he’d made in 2017 arguing that Indigenous people “need to have a voice” backed by “constitutional law”.

When I talk about treaties, when I talk about constitutional recognition, it is in regard to treaties that are signed between the Commonwealth government and First Nations peoples.

…I believe in treaties between the First Nations and the Commonwealth and at that, and I put it in that context.

I was involved in the beginning … and then after it got further down the track in regard to [what] it was looking at, [then I said] I don’t support that.

It has to be the First Nations, it has to be the traditional owners who make those agreements. I can’t speak for other people’s country, and they can’t speak for my country.

Overnight, the unthinkable happened at Sydney airport with a bomb threat onboard a returning plane. While the Australian federal police had direct control, NSW police and emergency services responded with around-the-clock assistance. To all these first responders, thank you.

While the appropriate reviews will take place, I want to thank everyone who did what needed to be done to resolve this situation peacefully.

Continue reading...

from World news | The Guardian https://ift.tt/3skSjeY

No comments:

Post a Comment

Watch: Timelapse of supermoon rising over California

A supermoon lights up the sky across the world along with a rare partial lunar eclipse. from BBC News https://ift.tt/q37wglC