Monday, 1 January 2024

‘All of Denmark is crying’: Danes react to Margrethe II’s abdication

‘I cried. And then I watched it back and cried again,’ says one as nation processes shock royal broadcast

It began like any other Danish New Year’s Eve. Martin Ebmark, a hotelier from the central town of Billund, was, “like everyone”, sitting watching the queen’s annual address on the television with his family.

He and his wife raised a toast to the queen, resplendent in a Cadbury-purple frock, “when she started talking about ‘the right time’. My wife turned to me and said, ‘she’s not doing what I think she’s doing! Is she?’ Then, she did it.”

Continue reading...

from World news | The Guardian https://ift.tt/OASFfY8

No comments:

Post a Comment

Republican says Trump’s support of Ken Paxton in Texas primary was ‘colossal mistake’

Thom Tillis says Trump’s decision to back Paxton over John Cornyn has put the Senate seat at risk for Republicans US senator Thom Tillis on ...