Sunday 18 June 2023

Australia politics live: voice referendum bill about to pass parliament; Greens renew push for rent freeze

The Senate will today hold the final vote to set the form of the referendum and how it will change the constitution. Follow the day’s news live

Back to the political positions on the voice and Nationals leader David Littleproud was asked about the no pamphlet which will be sent to voters, along with the yes pamphlet, and what he would like to see in there.

The pamphlet is written by politicians who support either side. It is not fact checked –the MPs can choose what goes in there.

No. I’ve made that very clear, I don’t support those sort of words. I’m not prepared to put my weight behind those words,” he said.

I’m not the final arbiter of this, but I don’t support those set of words - I’ll make that very clear.. I don’t think that would advance a mature discussion”

I think everyone is absolutely shocked at the allegations that were made last week. And you know, workplaces should be a safe, safe place. I think there has been some very good work done. Particularly with the leadership of Katy Gallagher and the Kate Jenkins report.

The Labor caucus is now 50% women and no one should have to feel unsafe in the workplace. No. It is unacceptable. And it is something that obviously has shocked this parliament.

Continue reading...

from World news | The Guardian https://ift.tt/72KFu6U

No comments:

Post a Comment

Guinea stadium massacre fugitive extradited from Liberia

Claude Pivi, Guinea's most wanted fugitive, has been on the run since last year's dramatic prison break. from BBC News https://ift...