Saturday, 17 September 2022

Electric shocks and white crosses: Izium reveals horrors of Russian occupation

As the five-month ordeal in Ukraine ends, the evidence of dead bodies and survivors’ testimonies suggests Donbas city could be another Bucha

Standing in the gloom, Maksim Maksimov pointed to the spot where he was tortured with electric shocks. Russian soldiers took him from his cell in the basement of Izium’s police station. They sat him on an office chair and attached a zig-zag crocodile clip to his finger. It was connected by cable to an old-fashioned Soviet military field telephone.

And then it began. A soldier cranked the handle, turning it faster and faster. This sent an excruciating pulse through Maksimov’s body. “I collapsed. They pulled me upright. There was a hood on my head. I couldn’t see anything. My legs went numb. I was unable to hear in my left ear,” he recalled. “Then they did it again. I passed out. I came round 40 minutes later back in my cell.”

Continue reading...

from World news | The Guardian https://ift.tt/pcK07Se

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dengue fever outbreak prompts Florida counties to declare state of emergency

CDC says 392 cases of Dengue were reported for the year so far in the state, along with different county-level data Several Florida counties...