Thursday 6 January 2022

I had death threats and my tires splashed for my reporting. Many journalists in the Pacific face huge dangers | Joyce McClure

Freedom of the press might be included in some constitutions of Pacific countries, but it often only works in theory

I spent five years as the lone journalist on the remote Pacific island of Yap. During that time I was harassed, spat at, threatened with assassination and warned that I was being followed. The tyres on my car were slashed late one night.

There was also pressure on the political level. The chiefs of the traditional Council of Pilung (COP) asked the state legislature to throw me out of the country as a “persona non grata” claiming that my journalism “may be disruptive to the state environment and/or to the safety and security of the state”.

Continue reading...

from World news | The Guardian https://ift.tt/3HMG653

No comments:

Post a Comment

Watch: Timelapse of supermoon rising over California

A supermoon lights up the sky across the world along with a rare partial lunar eclipse. from BBC News https://ift.tt/q37wglC