Thursday 30 September 2021

Oh my days: linguists lament slang ban in London school

Exclusive: ‘like’, ‘bare’, ‘that’s long’ and ‘cut eyes at me’ among terms showing up in pupils’ work now vetoed in classroom

A London secondary school is trying to stop its pupils from using “basically” at the beginning of sentences and deploying phrases such as “oh my days” in a crackdown on “fillers” and “slang” in the classroom.

Ark All Saints academy has produced lists of “banned” language which includes “he cut his eyes at me”, which the Collins dictionary says originates in the Caribbean and means to look rudely at a person and then turn away sharply while closing one’s eyes dismissively.

Ermmm …

Because …

No …

Like …

Say …

You see …

You know …

Basically …

He cut his eyes at me (he shot me a withering sidelong glance)

Oh my days (my goodness)

Oh my God

That’s a neck (you need a slap for that)

Wow

That’s long (that’s boring, tough or tedious)

Bare (very, extremely)

Cuss (swear or abuse)

Continue reading...

from World news | The Guardian https://ift.tt/3D3Bsgi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Watch: Timelapse of supermoon rising over California

A supermoon lights up the sky across the world along with a rare partial lunar eclipse. from BBC News https://ift.tt/q37wglC