Thursday 2 July 2020

Ocean swimming has been my greatest discovery of the coronavirus pandemic | Alison Rourke

Getting into the ocean every morning has been a reminder of what a tiny speck I am on this planet

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little freaked out the first time I saw a shark on my swim out of Sydney’s Manly Beach. Time almost stood still as the sleek figure weaved below me. Disbelieving, I thought: “That looks like a shark.” No one around me in the water even blinked an eye, and the baby grey nurse drifted off into the deep blue.

I have been a swimmer all of my life, but the idea of a shark encounter had pretty much kept me out of anything beyond the surf. That was until the Covid-19 lockdown. I had been covering the pandemic for the Guardian since the virus first emerged in China in January. At times I had found myself overwhelmed by the story’s immensity and the grim reality of how it had taken over our lives.

Continue reading...

from World news | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2ZAmkVG

No comments:

Post a Comment

ACCC sues Coles and Woolworths over allegations of ‘illusory’ discounts on common products

Competition watchdog alleges supermarkets briefly increased prices on hundreds of products before placing them in discount promotions Foll...