Thursday 1 August 2019

‘This isn’t true’: Uighur families angered by China claim relatives freed

China’s claim it has freed 90% of people in Xinjiang detention camps has been met with anger and scepticism

When news broke that senior officials in China were saying 90% of Uighurs detained in Xinjiang’s notorious detention centres had been released, Nurgul Sawut’s phone started going crazy.

“My Whatsapp, my Signal, my Facebook, everyone was tagging me in their posts,” said Sawut, a Uighur community leader based in Canberra. “Everyone started reacting. They were saying: ‘If 90%, where are my relatives, where are my family and friends?’ We’re not seeing any of those people in the community, who are you releasing?”

Continue reading...

from World news | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2ZphWrx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Guinea stadium massacre fugitive extradited from Liberia

Claude Pivi, Guinea's most wanted fugitive, has been on the run since last year's dramatic prison break. from BBC News https://ift...