Sunday 9 June 2019

New top story on Hacker News: Ask HN: Should I find a job or try to build a profitable project?

Ask HN: Should I find a job or try to build a profitable project?
9 by driven20 | 7 comments on Hacker News.
A little about me. I'm close to 30. I recently left my job, I was burnt out. I want to take 1-2 months for myself to reflect and figure out my next steps. I'm a software developer and I have been working with various small to medium software companies for the past 4-5 years. I currently live in a small city in the south (gf and I want to move to NYC or another big city). I can build CRUD apps from the ground up. I have around $60,000 saved and with my current bills, I have a runway of 1.5-2 years. My life goal is to build a successful business and entrepreneurship has been something I have always been interested in. However, I have never successfully built anything that gained traction, so I consider myself more of a wantrepreneur. Options: #1 Spend my time studying and finding a new job in NYC. I'm pretty confident that if I spend my time on leetCode and networking I will land a good job. I feel like this is the safe route. #2 Spend my time pursuing a couple ideas I have. It's nothing new or innovating, a productivity app and a yelp like service working with small businesses. Reading all the content here is super motivating and inspiring, I feel like I could make these ideas work, but it's also super risky. I don't want to spend 1-2 years working on these ideas only to look up and realized I wasted my time and money. #3 Some combination of both? I was thinking that I can pursue my side projects and look for a new job at the same time. However, I feel like having a clear focus on one thing is important.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Liam Payne fans hold vigils around the world

Thousands of the One Direction star's followers have gathered globally in memory of the singer who died last week. from BBC News https...